Saturday, January 26, 2008

Shake Rattle and Roll

The title of this is hugely inappropriate but given how he's handling it, with his usual nonchalance and Super Cooper ways, I decided to use it anyway.

There are times when you do things you'd never, EVER dream of doing. I had one of those moments last night. I had my little six year old dude on my lap, absorbing his little boy giggles and the best hugs and whispers in the world, and teaching him to say a new word:

Epilepsy.

Cooper received this diagnosis yesterday and twenty-four hours later, my heart is still attempting to deal with it. It stems from head trauma and a van door over two years ago, recently rearing up in our world with little seizures that don't seem to phase him but freak me out beyond words. He's got a fabulous physician, hates the taste of his medication, but thinks the idea of Med-Alert dogtags sounds uber-cool. In the grand scheme of things, we're still very lucky, and I know this, and I accept this, but the blood that courses through my veins wants nothing more than to make this all go away, and let him be just a normal little dude who doesn't have to worry about a thing in the world, much less how to pronounce Ep-i-lep-sy.

Shake, rattle and roll, dude face. Momma's got your back.

7 comments:

Lexi said...

Oh, Brenda, I'm so sorry. I'm sure it's an extremely difficult thing to deal with. But you're strong and it sounds like Cooper's strong too. You guys can handle this.

PJD said...

I saw your mention of this on EE's blog just now and had to drop by. As the dad of two boys, I can imagine what this means to you and how it affects you. But the worst I've had to deal with (so far, knock wood) is a really bad broken elbow with the potential of minor long term nerve damage. There's nothing I can say or do, of course, but send to you good vibes from way out here in CA and offer the cyber support of a co-minion.

Hang tough. A very close friend of mine had her 4-year-old diagnosed with severe autism and Asperger Syndrome many years ago; now he's a sophomore at a very high end private liberal arts college and doing very well. I do not know much about epilepsy. I hope everything works out well for you.

If there's anything I can do, drop me a line. (Didn't we at one point months and months ago offer each other a reciprocal manuscript critique?)

Brenda said...

Thanks, Chris. We'll get through it. Have no choice but to, right?

PJD: Yup, I think we did a long time ago. My 3rd child has Asperger's, so been there, done that too, although at 7, she's now thriving better than ever. These youngest two heathens - ugh - they're testing my patience and strength to new heights.

Let's just hope there's no fall.

PJD said...

Indeed. I am hoping that along with you.

My boys love Indiana Jones, Luke Skywalker, Aragorn. But my biggest heroes are parents who work so hard for their kids.

On that manuscript read--you've got your hands full, clearly, so forget reading mine. But I'm happy to give yours a read if you ever need someone for it.

Precie said...

Brenda---I hope you don't mind my stopping by. I saw your post on EE (and your party self on Church Lady's blog party for EE)...and I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you.

You've got quite a lot on your plate.

Julie said...

I was going to leave some sort of gushing sympathy note here, but then I realized that I've only ever known one person with epilepsy, and she ROCKED. We went to high school together. She had a black belt in tae kwon do, and she could do a roundhouse kick right over my head. The last time I saw her, we were bridesmaids in the same wedding, and she was exactly where everybody wants to be their first year out of college: renting a great apartment, working at a great job, and in a serious relationship.

Hang in there. Super Cooper's gonna be just fine.

daionara said...

Hey there, make sure Cooper knows it's not just his Momma that's got his back! Hang tough Momma, I've got your back too!